The Polaris leadership program shapes who you are now, and who you will become tomorrow.
At Fircom, we believe in the importance of empowering youth and young people to inspire and mobilize themselves and others toward a common purpose, particularly in the face of obstacles and challenges. The Polaris program builds the foundation of strong leadership skills by helping youth to discover their personal strengths, areas of growth and how to work as contributing members of a community, leading others and inspiring their peers.
- CHALLENGE: You will be challenged physically, mentally, socially, spiritually and emotionally while supported by Polaris staff.
- EXPLORE & MEET: You will make new friends as you all hike or paddle into beautiful locations in and around the Howe Sound area. You will encounter many opportunities for personal growth and skill development.
- STEP UP: You will be given supportive space for you to test your ability to work effectively within a group, and in certain situations you will be given the opportunity to lead. Polaris is grounded in the philosophy of 'challenge by choice.'
- LEARN: You will gain a variety of different skills through interactive, participatory, hands on learning. You will learn a variety of soft and hard skills such as outdoor camping skills, interpersonal skills, ad knowledge about the environment and social justice issues.
- EMBRACE: We will look at a variety of spiritual reflection practices from many cultural backgrounds. We aim to break stereotypes around the ideas around what spirituality means and how different cultures practice it. We aim to help youth find deeper meaning. At Fircom we believe that all people are worthy of respect and care and we always foster an inclusive and understanding environment.
- GROW: Completing the Polaris program is no small feat! You will learn new things about your own potential to lead and interact with others in your peer group.
Polaris encourages you to take charge! It will provide appropriate challenges to push you, in a safe and supported way. Your leadership staff and group will be there for you, just as you will be there for them. You will learn together, grow together, and infuse yourself even further within your community.
Invite your friends! Invite your whole class, club or sports team! And if they can’t make it, you’ll make friends who share your interests and values.
Are you ready to be a leader? Polaris leadership training is for everyone who wants to get the most out of life. Whether you are in middle school or high school; whatever your interests or abilities; no matter who you hang out with – Polaris believes you already have leadership abilities within you!
The Polaris program is supported by the Vera Radcliffe Thompson Youth Legacy Fund, a fund of Dunbar Ryerson United Church.
Choose Your Way as Spots are Filling Up Fast!